[PARPORT] Parport beginner's question

Matthias Lübberstedt (luebbi@ppi.de)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:47:16 +0200

Hi all,
I am trying to make a MIDI interface (Motu Micro Express) work
under Linux. The device is hooked to the PC by means of the
parallel port.

I tried to make a small test program talk to the interface using
the standard (i.e. non-parport) methods using /dev/lp1 and /dev/port
but I didn't seem to get any information through.

Now I am in need for pointers where else to look and what els to try.
Is using the parport drivers the right approach?

I need to set up and control a bi-directional communication between
the MIDI interface and the computer. The interface manual states that
it likes the parallel port set to EPP mode and in addition uses an
interrupt.

So my question is: What do I need for a start? Which drivers are needed
to set up and control bidirectional communication on the parallel port?

Thanks
Matthias

--
email: luebbi@ppi.de