Re: [PARPORT] HP 7200e CD-RW

grant@torque.net
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:23:33 -0400 (EDT)

> i just downloaded the stuff from http://www.torque.net/parport/cdr.html and
> configured my kernel (2.0.35) with paride (loadable module) support.
>
> then i do:
>
> GoodNight:~# insmod paride
> GoodNight:~# insmod epat
> GoodNight:~# insmod pg //yes, there were no responses

The messages went to your console and to the system log file. Use
'dmesg' to retrieve them if you are running under X.

> GoodNight:~$ lsmod
> Module: #pages: Used by:
> pg 2 0

pg would not be there if it had not found your device.

> epat 3 1
> paride 1 [pg epat] 1
> GoodNight:~# mount /dev/pg0 /cdrom
> mount: /dev/pg0 is not a block device

As the message says, /dev/pg0 is not a block device. It is a special
"generic" device that currently supports _only_ the cdrecord utility.

If you want to access your drive as a data device (rather than a CD-R)
then load the 'pcd' driver instead.

If you have parport installed, you can have both pg and pcd loaded.