Re: [PARPORT] Re: L68K: Amiga-Parport-driver

Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 10:42:21 +0100

>I think it' s better to implement it now instead of wait the middle of
>2.2.

I'm not sure Linus would accept it. He seems to be in deep code-freeze mode
at the moment. The code we have at the moment does work so it should probably
be left alone.

There's no reason it couldn't go into the m68k tree now -- it doesn't look
like 2.2 will work out of the box on m68k anyway.

>If the irq chip ack it' s more visible it' s a bug in the amiga port. If
>it has to be more visible for some unknown reasons

Apparently it's because of the details of the Amiga hardware. It does seem
slightly strange but I assume the m68k people know what they're doing.

>And I don' t understand how changing the parport irq handling code would
>help workarounding this port bug (even if I agree for other reasons to
>change the code).

If the lowlevel driver handles the interrupts, it can perform whatever strange
acknowledge behaviour is needed either before or after the highlevel driver
runs.

p.