Re: [PARPORT] Re: L68K: Amiga-Parport-driver

Joerg Dorchain (dorchain@wirbel.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:32:46 +0200 (MET DST)

> Supposing we implement this change to allow the parport lowlevel driver to
> register a parport_pc_irq_handler() generic callback (that will recall
> port->cad->irq_handler(...)) that the parport high level driver will
> register as the port irq; are you going to hack every other device driver
> out there to support plugin Amiga card? Or are you lucky and the only
> plugin Amiga card are parallel ports ;-)? And now think why you like to do
> the ack in the parport_m68k_irq_handler() instead of in lp_interrupt() and
> plip_interrupt(), beacuse it' s more clean. So why not to do the ack in
> the arch specific code?

No, the other way around. Have the hardware specific handler call the
high-level function. Hooks are there, just change the semantics of it.
For the high-level function it doesn't matter wehter is called directly
through the chain or indirectly by the low-level driver.
IMHO devic specific irq acknowldge belong into the device driver. It is
not architecture specific. If you give me some time and money, IŽll build
a zorro plugin card implementing a parallel port based on an 8255 chip.

Joerg