Re: [PARPORT] Re: L68K: Amiga-Parport-driver

Joerg Dorchain (dorchain@wirbel.com)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 01:09:07 +0200 (MET DST)

> >Maybe it would be better to let Joerg come up with the patch since he seems to
> >have a clearer idea of what needs doing.

Please give me some time. I was on holidays last week, now I have to
spend most of my time earning money again. Today you will get a patch
against 2.1.119 with the current scheme. tomorrow I'll try my luck on the
"proper" irq-handling patch

> I think that parport lowlevel developers will feel better without having
> to play with spinlocks and other parport scheduling things and I' d like
> to not produce code duplication. The way I implemented the call for
> parport_examine_irq() (that is defined as return 0 here) got completly
> optimized out from the asm if PARPORT..OTHERS is not set.

Good idea, but banging the hardware almost always needs things like
locking out or ignoring events till you ready to handle them (You perhaps
would be amazed by the amiga floppy hardware ;-). Developing close to
hardware has to cope with such things. if there really should occur code
duplication, we can always move it into a support library as soon as we
see it.

Joerg