Re: [PARPORT] ZIP - bad partition?

grant@torque.net
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:55:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Nope, its a standard preformatted pc zip disk. Its happening with every zip
> disk I have. When I fdisk the disk, and create a new partition 4 with an
> end cylinder of 96, it goes right back to having 2193280 blocks the next time
> its fdisked.

This is bizarre.

I'd like to see the evidence :-)

Please take one of these preformatted disks, put it in the drive, and
load ppa. Then extract the first 128 KB from the disk into a file
compress it and ftp it to me. I can't guarantee any wisdom, but
something might come to light.

        dd if=/dev/sda of=data bs=1024 count=128
        gzip data
        ftp ftp.torque.net
        ... log in as anonymous ...
        cd incoming
        put data.gz
        ^D
        mail grant@torque.net

One thing to try: if you delete partition 4 and create partition 1,
does that change stick ? Do you have any evidence that anything is
being written to the disk ?