Re: [PARPORT] ZIP - bad partition?

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:53:25 +0800

From: grant@torque.net
Subject: Re: [PARPORT] ZIP - bad partition?
To: ej41169@goodnet.com (PaleBlue)
Date sent: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:50:06 -0400 (EDT)
Copies to: grant@torque.net, linux-parport@torque.net

> > I was wondering if it could be the parallel port. The box I'm trying
> > get the zip to work with is an old 486/sx 25MHz.
>
> Argh ! That'll probably have an SPP port that needs about 4 us settling
> time. Check Dave's web pages at http://www.torque.net/~campbell to
> see how to increase the port-settling delay.

*slap forehead and stare skyward*

Now it all starts making sense.

> I'm sure there's a way to take care of this on the kernel boot command
> line.

*hide under a rock*

Due to people complaining about the speed with 486 DX2-66 the main
loop for SPP and PS/2 mode was "optimised" with assembler. The only
option I have is to back out that change (just for you) and add a delay in
the appropriate areas to make things work better.

The delay is more likely to be in the order of 1us, therefore a sub usec
delay system will be required. You are using 2.0.35 right?

David Campbell

PS: I lost three hours today as one of the concrete floor slabs "moved"
in the office.
campbell@torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers
d) Boot proms for parport devices (socket onto NE2000 cards)

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome