Re: [PARPORT] automatic loading of ppa-module with kmod?

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:43:16 +0800

Date sent: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:22:12 +0200
From: Andreas Schuldei <schuldei@andrive.de>
To: linux-parport@torque.net
Subject: [PARPORT] automatic loading of ppa-module with kmod?

> Please cc: to schuldei@andrive.de; I am not on this list.
Unfortunately I need to add the parport to the CC list :-)

> What do I have to put into /etc/conf.modules so that the kmod - demon
> would load the ppa and parport-stuff on its own when I try to access
> the zip-drive?

You need to define an alias to scsi-adapter (that should already be defined
in /etc/conf.modules. The SCSI disk adapter when it is asked to access a
non-existent device file will ask kerneld to load this driver.

This ONLY works when there are no SCSI host adapters loaded. The
exact name of the alias is defined in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/sd.c

Please read the conf.modules man page for more details on defining an
alias.

David Campbell
campbell@torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers
d) Boot proms for parport devices (socket onto NE2000 cards)

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome