Re: [PARPORT] Sparq help request #2

grant@torque.net
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:24:54 -0400 (EDT)

> paride: epat registered as protocol 0
> pd: pd version 1.03s, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
> pda: Autoprobe failed
> pd: no valid drive found

The driver does not seem to be able to find your drive - so nothing
else is going to work.

At this stage it would be a good idea to switch to using modular versions
of the PARIDE drivers. You have more debugging options that way. Build
the kernel with paride, pd and epat as modules. Then

        insmod paride
        insmod epat
        insmod pd verbose=1

That will show us a bit more information about which ports are actually
being probed - and whether there appeared to be an epat there at all ...

> I am also adding some of the /dev directory, I remember
> doing a "ls -l p*" to get the following listing.
>
> brw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 0 Sep 22 22:26 pd1

This one is bizarre. Block device 1,0 is /dev/ram0. How did it
manage to get the name /dev/pd1 ???

> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 45, 0 May 8 11:57 pda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 45, 1 May 8 11:57 pda1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 45, 2 May 8 11:57 pda2
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 45, 3 May 8 11:57 pda3
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 45, 4 May 8 11:57 pda4

Those are the correct devices for pd.

> Here's where deja vu comes in... I think I have things set up,

Nope. There's no pd in your system.

> keeping in mind I have tried a couple kernels since the first mail,
> but I am wondering about which device to fdisk and mount. The
> devs I am trying are obviously the wrong ones.
>
> Hopefully, from the output above, ya'll with more experience with
> PARIDE can point me in the right direction.
> I am interested in working this out for myself, yes, I have read the
> available documentation. One thing I have found to be under-
> documented, IMHO, is the mknod and /dev stuff.

These are standard Unix things that are well documented in man pages,
But, they're also not your problem. Right now, there is no sign that
your SparQ is alive.