Re: [PARPORT] Re: IMM driver weirdness.

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:52:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

>Hm, no. Actually it's one of the amateur radio modem drivers using the
>parallel port for wireless communication. The problem is that this
>device ist just a big FIFO buffer with no on board intelligence. The

If the hardware can' t preempt you can' t use such pardevice in sharing
mode. Right now it' s left to the administrator to know this.

You are the one that knows that it' s impossible for the hardware to share
the same parallel port and you are connecting such hardware on the ZIP
drive. If you do that you have to play with modules as with 2.0.

>So, if I interpret your lines correctly, devices that don't support
>sharing shouldn't use parport? That'd be somehow sad, because the

No they can use parport but you must put it in a free parport slot without
other pardevices. This changes can be done only as root.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli