[PARPORT] Lost characters again

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 12:49:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi guys,

I think the lost characters bug might still be there, but I don't know for
sure. Here's what I did:

- printer is off
- ghostscript | lpr
- turn printer on
- garbage on paper
- turn printer off
- remove print job
- turn printer on again
- ghostscript | lpr as before
- correct output on paper

So, it could either be the printer driver's handling of an unpowered
printer, or it could be my printer (Canon BJC210) getting confused as it
initializes.

Another possibility is that the Zip drive is swallowing data by accident -
it sits between the printer and parallel port.

I don't really have time now to see if I can reproduce it. Does anyone
feel like trying to find possible data lossage in lp.c?

Thanks,