Re: [PARPORT] simulating a printer

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:20:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

>Hi,
>
> Maybe this is a FAQ, but I didn't find it, so... Anybody knows how to
>simulate a printer, connecting a modified cable to capture data sent from
>a computer to a printer? I have an equipment that send logs to a printer

You should use bidirectional mode to grab the data lines. But I don' t
know if it' s possible to do the reverse printer handshake. To do that you
should hope that the parallel port is able to use ACK and BUSY line as
output and not as an input as usual (sure not using NORMAL-MODE I
think...). I don' t know if it' s possible because I only know how
normal/nibble mode works in details right now.

>driver and will try to make a program to see if it fits my needs, but if
>anybody has a better solution... :)

You could do that all in userspace without use parport at all if you want
to do that fast and dirty (but note that you'll have to run the grabber
as root or suid that way).

Before start developing I suggest you to read some specs and check if the
hw is able to use BUSY and ACK as output lines.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli