[PARPORT] parport-scsi release 0.02

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 17:29:38 +0800

Two issues have been addressed since the last release (several hours ago :-),
namely the kernel message when no parallel ports are detected and the
required restructuring for the t348 and t358 drivers.

The kernel message for the no parallel port case is as follows:
ppa: parport reports no parallel port devices.
ppa: use 'insmod parport_##' where ## is your hardware.

Hopefully that should keep Alan Cox happy for the moment.

A truely PC hardware independent ppa driver will require some improvements
in the resolving ps_dev->dev->port->base. Perhaps someone from the parport
crew (eg Tim, Phil or Andrea) could look into this and come up with a better
"port cache" algo. Currently I cache the parallel port base address and
perform direct IO based on this. If I had to resolve the port base address
each time I wanted to access an IO port the look-up cripples the driver.

The question I have, does anyone use parport with a parallel port driver other
than parport_pc AND have a ZIP drive?

David Campbell

PS: Pending parport-scsi issues as at 19Oct98
a) Check and fix the scsi_abort() & scsi_reset() routines in ppa/imm
b) Develop a high speed port caching for parport
c) Fix the missing system time for "ppa/imm"
        (the time spent in the software interrupt)

campbell@torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (documentation needed)
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers (75% complete)

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome