Re: [PARPORT] HP Colorado 5G and filemarks

J Scott Berg (jsberg@indiana.edu)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:58:36 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, soboroff wrote:

> Why doesn't the pt driver support more of the mt ioctl's? Would it be
> unreasonable to patch pt.c to handle MT_WFM with a call to pt_write_fm()? I
> can't figure out exactly how else filemarks get written, except through the
> ATAPI tape calls (drivers/block/ide-tape.c). So the backup software has to
> know it's using an ATAPI tape drive, and can't use the more general mt
> commands.

This is actually on my list of things to do (if you want to work on
it, you're welcome). The drive is really just an ATAPI/QIC-157 device
with some chips to allow ATAPI packets to be transmitted over the
parallel port. Implementing the mt ioctl's is just a matter of
writing wrappers for the appropriate ATAPI/QIC-157 packets. It all
looks pretty straightforward to me, but I haven't done it yet, so
there may be surprises.

                                -Scott Berg

--
J. Scott Berg                                 Phone: (812) 855-5465
Indiana University Cyclotron Facility         FAX:   (812) 855-6645