Re: [PARPORT] paride and HP Colorado 5GB

grant@torque.net
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:52:40 -0500 (EST)

> I upgraded to 2.0.36 kernel and built paride, pt, and epat
> drivers into the kernel. With dmesg I get:
>
> lp1 at 0x0378 (polling)
> paride: epat registered as protocol 0
> pt: pt version 1.04s, major 96
> pt0: Autoprobe failed
> pt: No ATAPI tape drive detected
>
> First question: is the lp1 the reason why Autoprobe failed?

Yes. You cannot have more than one driver attached to any given
port in 2.0 kernels. 2.1 allows you to share the port.

> paride: version 1.02 installed
> paride: epat registered as protocol 0
> pt: pt version 1.04s, major 96
> pt0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip C6 at 0x378, mode 0 (4 bit), delay 1
> pt0: Reset (7) signature = 1 1 1 14 eb
> pt0: HP Colorado 5 GBe, master, blocksize 512, 2458MB

Ok, so far so good, but your parallel port is misconfigured. Please
check the CMOS settings and set the port to EPP mode. It might be in
SPP or ECP mode now.

> But how can I now access the tape? I tried:
> fdisk /dev/pt0
> I get the error "unable to read /dev/pt0".

I think you need to read some general Unix documentation. Tape drives
are character devices, they don't have partition tables and do not contain
file systems.

> I tried:
> mount /dev/pt0 /mnt/tape
> I get the error "mount: /dev/pt0 is not a block device"

Which is correct.

> In the case of the fdisk command I hear the tape spinning for
> a while. So it seems to do something. What could be the problem?
> How can I proceed?

How about something like

        tar -cf /dev/pt0 /home

When it is done try

        tar -tf /dev/pt0

to list the contents of the tape.

Once you understand the basics, you can improve performance with
blocking factors, etc.

> In the case of the fdisk command I hear the tape spinning for
> a while. So it seems to do something. What could be the problem?

That's simply an artifact of opening the device.