RE: [PARPORT] Re: patch-2.1.131-ac8-1284

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:53:24 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Tim Waugh wrote:

>> Probably we should account something like the RTO (mean variation) of the
>> TCP/IP in the pardevice structure to know the mean time after which we
>> must consider the device extra slow and so sleep on the irq safely to have
>> not broken performance in the fast case...
>
>Did you read my comment in parport_wait_peripheral? It starts "This should
>be adjustable."

Adjustable !!== autoprobing/autotuning. I would like an heuristic like the
one I used for accounting the ato to know when to timeout and so send the
dealayed ack in the TCP code. The same timeout here, would mean to sleep
on the irq (if irqs are been probed by the ieee code of course
otherwise to continue the poll ;).

Andrea Arcangeli