Re: [PARPORT] mounting an IDE hard drive throught parallel port

grant@torque.net
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:25:26 -0500 (EST)

> I have an external hard drive (IBM Deskstar 16GP) with an
> IDE to parallel port adapter. The disk is formatted under
> MSDOS.

Do you know anything about the case in which the drive is mounted ?
Although you can try all the known protocols, it would be simpler if
you knew what sort of parallel port IDE adapter was in use. You could
send me a listing of the file names on the DOS installer floppy, and
I might be able to identify the device from that.

> I would like to mount and read the contents of the disk using the
> parallel port under Linux RedHat 5.2.
> How do I do that?

Please read the file Documentation/paride.txt in the kernel source tree.

Alternatively, you can read http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html

> Using the command:
> 'mount -t msdos /dev/pda /mnt/dos1'
> results in the error
> 'mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/pda as a block device
> (maybe `insmod driver'?) '
> then after typing
> 'insmod pd'
> I get
>
> /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/pd.o: unresolved symbol pi_release

You must load 'paride' and one of the protocol modules before you attempt
to load pd.