[PARPORT] Backpack Bantam

Cameron Parle (cparle@mpx.com.au)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:52:58 +1100

Hello Group,

I'm trying to get a Backpack Bantam CD-ROM working under Red Hat 5.2
(kernel 2.0.36) on a Compaq Contura 410CX notebook. I've successfully
installed OS/2 Warp 4 with this hardware combination amongst other
things (although I had to use a barely documented switch with the OS/2
driver to force bidirectional mode, suggesting that Compaq's EPP
implementation might be a bit wobbly).

Problem: I can't get Red Hat to recognise the Bantam at installation
time and so I'll probably have to install from the hard drive, but that
was more or less expected. My understanding from reading this group's
archives and the online information is that:

1. Once fully up, kernel 2.0 supports the Bantam (monolithic and
modularised).

2. Installation routines for kernel 2.0 distributions don't support
the Bantam.

3. Installation support for the Bantam will be coming with kernel 2.2
distributions.

Firstly, could the group please confirm these three beliefs.

I have a second, more peripheral (weak pun) problem that I'd like to
pose the group. I've been trying to install Red Hat from my hard drive
without success. Yes, I know it should be simple and I've probably
missed something elementary, but the Red Hat installation routine simply
refuses to accept the FAT16 installation tree that I've put on /dev/hda5
(being my first logical partition). The routine sees the partition, but
will not recognise the tree. I've created /RedHat/base & /RedHat/RPMS
with the appropriate files in 8.3 format (as on the Red Hat CD, and
entirely ok according to the doco). Any ideas?

Thanks

Cameron Parle
cparle@mpx.com.au