Re: [PARPORT] Re: [patch] ieee1284 nibble mode

Philip Blundell (pb@nexus.co.uk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:29:18 +0100

>Just goes to show my ignorance of the read back functionality of the lp
>driver.

Actually what Andrea quoted isn't what the lp driver is supposed to do. It
seems he's managed to get it to perform the same function as the code in
parport_probe, ie ask the device for its built-in ID information.

>Do we have a program / proc entry which lists the device capabilities, I just

Turn on the autoprobe and look in /proc/parport.

>Is there any other cute features that I do not know about?

Pass. :-)

Probably not actually. The real intent of the lp readback code is to allow
you to get status information out of IEEE-1284 printers. This isn't
standardised as far as I can tell, though, so it's of less use at the moment.

p.