Re: [PARPORT] Lava Parallel Accelerator

Mahesh Madhav (mjm@sanitarium.harkness.brown.edu)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:12:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 grant@torque.net wrote:

> > Has anyone tried the Lava PCI card that gives you a parallel port "three
> > or four times the speed of a motherboard EPP port"
>
> Ok, I went out and got one of these things. I haven't done exhaustive
> testing, but here's what I've found.

  one thing that I was also curious about:
  By using this PCI card, did that take a lot of load off of your
  processor when you were doing your large file copy tests?

  Right now when I am transferring huge files, my load goes up to ~2.0
  due to the io, and makes my computer almost unusable.

  If the card does reduce the load, would the same thing occur with the
  ISA version of the card?

  thanks

   -mahesh