Re: [PARPORT] SparQ external parport eats CPU !

grant@torque.net
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:26:53 -0500 (EST)

> When I attach my Spar Q to my parport, it normally works fine (kernel
> 2.0.36), but it eats a lot of CPU power, and some of my disks are buggy -
> which means that the machine nearly locks up.
>
> Is that situation getting better soon ?

You can use the "nice" option on the pd driver to reduce the load on your
CPU. Buggy disks I can't do anything about. Since I don't actually have
a SparQ, I'm not sure whether the problems with bad blocks on SparQs are
the driver's fault or the firmware in the drive.

NB: make sure you don't have your parallel port configured to some
low-performance mode - EPP is best.