Re: [PARPORT] RE: [patch] ieee1284 nibble mode

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:02:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> In compatibility (forward idle) mode
> parport0: Unspecified, Unknown vendor Unknown device

.. because it only read 1 byte. :-(

> parport probe stops and readback return to not work as usual. But now at
> least I know which is the line that harms here ;).

How do you know that readback doesn't work? Your printer might not
support it.

> The printing (forward channel) works fine though (no 5 sec stall). Can you
> tell me a way to reproduce the semaphore weirness (I would like to go into
> that before to play with the printer because I see that more urgent...)?

It happens when we're waiting to write into the fifo. So, for example,
print something when the printer is off.

See my other mail about the reason for the freeze -- it's because of the
semaphore changes.