Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip 250MB Drives

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:19:22 +0800

Date sent: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:02:33 -0330 (NST)
From: Neil Zanella <nzanella@cs.mun.ca>
To: David Campbell <campbell@torque.net>
Copies to: linux-parport@torque.net
Subject: Re: [PARPORT] Iomega Zip 250MB Drives

> Hello,
>
> The imm 0.18 driver worked with my Zip250 drive and kernel 2.0.36.
>
> The driver works with both 250MB and 100MB disks as I was able to mount
>
> both on my /mnt/zip mount point.
>
> The howto mentions the development of some software for Linux to remove the
> file 50ways.exe that appears on both my iomega zip disk and my maxell zip
> disk. As far as I understand this file has some built in mechanism to
> prevent the zip drive from writing an ext2fs file system to the drive,
> making the Zip drive read-only under Linux. So to make an ext2fs file
> system I must reboot to DOS, configure my new zip drive under windows (which
> frankly I do not feel like doing as I don't care much for windows) and
> do something to the floppy to unprotect it.

You are talking about ziptools for Linux? From memory the source can
be found be retrieved by anonymous ftp from
ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/ziptool.c, Grant wrote the original program
quite sometime back and I have not made ANY modifications to it. The
date stamp on the file is May 1996.

Time for me to read the HOWTO [showing my ignorance and how long
since I bought a ZIP disk, 2 years since I bought a Gigapack].

David Campbell