[PARPORT] init_module: Device or resource busy

Pavlos Konas (konas@tensilica.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:48:28 -0800

Hi,
 I'm new to the world of linux and devices connected
through the parallel port, so this question (and its
answer) might be trivial.
 I've connected an iomega zip drive through the parallel
port and linux seems to have a problem finding the device.
(The device is accessible through win98/winNT). When I
try to load the ppa module I get the following response:

ppa: Version 1.42
ppa: Probing port 03bc
ppa: Probing port 0378
ppa: SPP port present
ppa: PS/2 bidirectional port present
ppa: EPP 1.9 with hardware direction protocol
ppa: Probing port 0278
scsi : 0 hosts.

 When linux (that is redhat5.2 linux) it produces the
following log

Linux version 2.0.36 (root@porky.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Tue Oct 13
22:17:11 EDT 1998
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f
hda: WDC AC28400R, 8063MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1027/255/63, UDMA
hdb: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6302B, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:

 Since I see the same behavior on another machine, it means that
I must be forgetting to do something very trivial.

 Any suggestions would be appreciated.

 Thanks
Pavlos