Re: [PARPORT] two patches

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:00:06 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Mahesh Madhav wrote:

> At ftp.torque.net, I see the latest updates-
>
> patch-2.2.1-1284-12.gz
> patch-2.2.1-1284-12843-10.gz

Indeed. They are experimental -- the first adds IEEE1284 support, and
the second adds IEEE1284.3 suppor to _that_, i.e. it's incremental against
the IEEE1284 patch.

> Does one need to apply both patches? does the larger (first one) include all
> of the second?

For IEEE1284.3 support, yes, you need to apply both patches in the correct
order (-1284 followed by -1284-12843). For IEEE1284 support only, only
the first is needed.

> Also, after applying the second patch, I have a parport_daisy.c file in the
> top level directory after the patch is finished, which I need to move into
> its proper place. Am I applying the patch incorrectly, or from the wrong
> cwd? (i am in /usr/src/ and say "/usr/bin/patch < patch-foo")

Instead, cd /usr/src/linux; /usr/bin/patch -p1 < patch-foo. Patch (at
least some versions of it) appears to put new files in the wrong place
unless you specifiy -p.

Is there a particular problem you are trying to fix, or do you just want
to try out some experimental code?

The patches add two configuration options: CONFIG_PARPORT_1284 (IEEE1284
transfer modes) and CONFIG_PARPORT_12843 (IEEE1284.3 daisy chaining). You
should be able to print even if these are both "n". The
CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT option has gone, as device ID reporting is in the
IEEE1284.3 code now.

I haven't written the Configure.help bits for them yet, and they're
only on i386 at the moment.