Re: [PARPORT] Help getting started with a laptop and Linux

grant@torque.net
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:54:23 -0500 (EST)

First, please don't post HTML to this list.

> I have either a Backpack parallel CD-ROM model 164700 or a Iomega zip
> that I could hook up to the laptop.
> Which would be easier for me to install from?

You wouldn't be able to squeeze the entire RedHat CD onto a ZIP-250 cartridge,
let alone a ZIP-100.

> I have tried downloading the rh52-ppcd.img from ftp.torque.net and made
> the bootup floppy.
> The problem is that when I try to install I get an error saying that it
> could not mount the drive.

Did you have a RedHat 5.2 CD in the drive at the time ? If you did,
then we need to see what went wrong. You can get various log messages
from the alternate screens that can be brought up by holding down the
ALT key and pressing F1, F2, F3, etc. F1 is the main screen. If I remember
correctly, F4 contains the Linux kernel messages - which is where any
trouble reports from the backpack driver would have appeared.

If however, you have some other CD in the drive (even a different RedHat
version) you will get errors like the one you report.

> The laptop does not have a network connect to install from either.

Have a look at "PLIP".