[PARPORT] Help getting started with a laptop and Linux

Michael Schievelbein (Michael@schievelbein.com)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:54:16 -0700

I have an old 486 laptop that I would like to install Linux onto.
I am totally new to the Linux world and do not understand the drivers stuff.
I have either a Backpack parallel CD-ROM model 164700 or a Iomega zip that I could hook up to the laptop.
Which would be easier for me to install from?
I have tried downloading the rh52-ppcd.img from ftp.torque.net and made the bootup floppy.
The problem is that when I try to install I get an error saying that it could not mount the drive.
The laptop only has a 200MB drive so there is not enough room to copy the CD-ROM over to the HD and install Linux from there.
The laptop does not have a network connect to install from either.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS
Michael
Michael@Schievelbein.com