Re: [PARPORT] Can't print after installing PARIDE (2.0.36, sorry)

Lewis Perin (perin@panix.com)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:33:00 -0500 (EST)

>From: "David Campbell" <campbell@torque.net>
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:47:02 +0800
>
>Date sent: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:22:38 -0500 (EST)
>From: Lewis Perin <perin@panix.com>
>To: campbell@torque.net
>Copies to: linux-parport@torque.net
>Subject: Re: [PARPORT] Can't print after installing PARIDE (2.0.36, sorry)
>Send reply to: perin@acm.org
>
>> And now a postscript from the Dept. of Irreproducible Results: This
>> morning (after yet another reboot) printing went fine. But when I
>> insmodded paride, epat and pd the problem recurred; rmmodding them
>> didn't help.
>
>It sounds like you have narrowed down the problem considerably. The
>problem could either be the pass through port is not being reset
>properly after being used by paride (unlikely but it could be a
>possiblity) or the parallel port registers are left in a strange
>state.
>
>There are two things to try here, the first would to be power cycle
>(turn off and then back on) the SyQuest drive. This should reset the
>internal circuitry so that print jobs go straight through. Make sure
>you do not have a disk in the drive when you do this (just being
>paranoid).

I just tried #1 and it didn't help; nothing visible happened on the
printer and dmesg's output grew by one line:

  lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

>Secondly, I will send you a small C program (off list) to force the
>printer port into a known "sane" state (and also reset the printer at
>the same time). If we can nail the source of the problem then we can
>feed this back to the relevant developer.

I'd appreciate that.

Thanks very much, Lew

---
Lew Perin | perin@acm.org | www.panix.com/~perin/