Re: [PARPORT] Re: 2.2.1 crash

Marc Heckmann (pfeif@step.polymtl.ca)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 00:03:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, David Campbell wrote:

> > There have been on alot of reports of systems freezes (2.2.1) with ZIP
> > drives. I have experienced myself. What type of filesystem was on the
> > disk, cause there have been a lot of crash reports with vfat as well.
>
> Care to add some more details guy? This is not very helpful as there
with pleasure :)

ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.0.0)
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 16 bit
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using PS/2
scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.09
Detected scsi removable disk sdc at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
SCSI device sdc: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sdc: Write Protect is off
 sdc: sdc4

does this help?:

[[marc_h@fsck marc_h]$ cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
base: 0x378
irq: none
dma: none
modes: SPP,PS2,ECP,ECPPS2

> you trying to access something else on the parallel port (eg:
> printer)?
no.

> Is the "system freeze" a repeatable problem? There was a problem with
Hard to reproduce, but it happens when there's lot's of I/O activity, Hard
Disk + ZIP. Yes I know it could have been caused by the one of the bugs in
2.2.1. Have not tried to make it happen with 2.2.2 yet.

> 486 machines sometime ago which I cured, it was CPU speed dependent
pentium.

> There is a bug still on my pending list with respect to the mid-level
> driver could not allocate kernel memory causing an OOPS, this is on
No OOPS, nothing in the syslog. complete freeze, No reboot.

More info available upon request.

        Marc Heckmann