[PARPORT] Problem solved: How to autoload ppa module

Tore Reimers (treimers@c2i.net)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:51:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Tore Reimers wrote:

> After lurking around this mailing list + the archives, I have not been
> able to find out how to autoload the ppa module, I have a ZIP drive and
> printer on the same port.
> etc...

Well, at least I think I have the problem solved... Let's see:

1) My ZIP drive is under /dev/sda*, so I entered in /etc/conf.modules :
alias block-major-8 ppa

2) In /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep , I changed the line regarding ppa
from:
/lib/modules/2.0.36/scsi/ppa.o:
/lib/modules/2.0.36/scsi/ppa.o: /lib/modules/2.0.36/scsi/sd_mod.o

3) To stop depmod from overwriting this file at every boot, I copied the
modules.dep file to modules.dep.ppa, and appended to my rc.local file:
cp /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep.ppa /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep

A bit of a "dirty" fix, but now the ZIP modules are automatically loaded
and unloaded, and I can use my parallel printer on the same port without
su'ing to root every time I need to use the ZIP.

Any tip on how to make depmod "behave", so that steps 2) and 3) is done
automagically by depmod instead?

--
Hilsen Tore                             http://home.c2i.net/treimers/