[PARPORT] Proposed changes/clarifications to the parport interface

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:11:59 +0000 (GMT)

Hi guys,

At the moment, parport_write_control on the PC can enable/disable
interrupts from the port, and also control the direction of the data
lines.

We already have enable_irq/disable_irq in the interface, and I'd like to
add set_direction(int), where the argument is zero for forward. Also, I'd
like to enforce that parport_write_control only affects control lines, and
doesn't have side effects any more. I would then try to banish
PARPORT_CONTROL_INTEN and PARPORT_CONTROL_DIRECTION.

Do people think this is a good idea, or should parport_write_control act
like writing the control register on a PC architecture, and other
architectures have to emulate?

Let me know what you think. This would be happening in 2.3 of course, not
2.2.