[PARPORT] vandals ...

grant@torque.net
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:17:45 -0500 (EST)

I arrived back at torque.net at 5pm today to find that I had suffered a
burglary. This is a high-security building, but somehow, the door to
my suite had been broken down and mayhem had been wrecked on my home and
office.

The vandals targetted my computers - one was stolen, several were opened
and CPUs and/or memory taken. In particular, gear, the machine that hosts
this and other mailing lists, was destroyed. I have yet to determine
the full extent of the damage, but several of my parallel port devices
are gone, and my SMP research machine was also destroyed. Fortunately,
it seems that the disks were not worth taking, so I've been able to cobble
up a replacement for 'gear' and we're limping along ...

My main reason for writing (other than to make a cheap bid for some
sympathy) is to explain that all my Linux work will be delayed for some
time while I get my insurance company to replace the missing stuff - and
until I can get a new machine together for development and testing.