[PARPORT] Help with Sparq drive

Michael Benedict (zosima@geocities.com)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:30:05 -0500

Can anyone help me with getting my Sparq drive to work on Linux? I
decided I wouldn't bother with installing it until I upgraded to the
2.2[.1] kernel. I upgraded this last weekend and I am a little lost on
the paride stuff. dmesg gives me the following:

lp0: using parport0 (polling).
paride: version 1.04 installed
pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
pda: Autoprobe failed
pd: no valid drive found
pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
pda: Autoprobe failed
pd: no valid drive found
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

. . .

paride: version 1.04 installed
nbd: registered device at major 43
pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
pda: Autoprobe failed
pd: no valid drive found
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
nbd: module cleaned up.

I do have the parport and paride drivers, I am fairly sure I compiled
everything correctly (they are modules) but I am a little lost. For
one, I can `insmod praride` but it doesn't like `insmod pd`, it tells me
the device is busy even though it isn't listed if I `lsmod`. Finally
`insmod epat` gives me an error that there is no such module. The shell
script in the readme didn't work for me, though I guess that is because
I didn't fully load the drivers properly. Finally, my printer doesn't
work, it worked with my previous kernel (without the paride modules
installed) but now it doesn't. The physical setup is a daisy-chain on a
single port, using the Sparq Drive's pass through port.

So does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am not the smartest
person, but I couldn't figure it out from the documentation. I tried to
look at my configuration files for building the modules, but I didn't
see anything about the epat module, though I do see it in the source
tree. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need more info
please tell me (the more explicate the directions to obtaining the info
the better :) ) and I will post it. Thanks a lot for your help.
        -Michael Benedict
            zosima@geocities.com

PS: The Sparq drive worked under winnt/