Re: [PARPORT] Parallel ZIP

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:39:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, John Cumming wrote:

> note that the LPT driver grabs all three of my parallel ports (two of which
> are fitted with printers) before the ppa driver comes up. What's going
> wrong here? Do I need to bring up the ppa driver first (and if so, how? -
> and what's the options format for the ppa guy).

It would help to know if the printer driver is a module or not. If it
_is_ a module you need to put an options line in /etc/conf.modules like
this:

options lp io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,5

..with appropriate values, of course.

If the printer driver is compiled into your kernel, you'll have put
something similar on the kernel command line (lp=0xBBB base address of
your printer's parallel port).

This whole thing isn't an issue in 2.2, incidentally.