Re: [PARPORT] Ezflyer230 + Printer

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:55:26 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Fred,

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Frederic Soulier wrote:

> In my /etc/conf.modules I have added the following lines:
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Good.

> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

You might not need this line. Are those values definitely correct?

> #lpr filename gives
> lpr: lp: unknown printer

That's because you (or printtool) haven't set up /etc/printcap I expect.

> the printtool program from RedHat fails to detect any printer on
> /dev/lp0 & /dev/lp1 & /dev/lp3

What happens when you insmod parport_pc by hand?

> Module size used by
> parport_probe 2848 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> lp 4860 0 (autoclean) (unused)
> parport 6624 0 (autoclean) [parport_probe lp]

parport_pc should be there too, since it's in your /etc/conf.modules. If
you look at dmesg output there'll be a line from lp complaining about
there not being any devices.

> So I guess kmod has kicked in and did its job (I thought that after
> a determined elapsed time they would be removed but in fact they stay
> there forever...) but nothing prints.

Kmod loads modules -- you need a cron job if you want to remove them too.