[PARPORT] Ezflyer230 + Printer

Frederic Soulier (wallaby@primex.co.uk)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:20:22 +0000

Hi,

** Ezflyer230 **

In my /etc/conf.modules I have added the following lines:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

but it does not make a difference...
#insmod parport (OK)
#insmod paride (OK)
#insmod epat (OK)
#insmod pd or
#modprobe pd still give:
pd: pd version 1.05, major 45, cluster 64, nice 0
pda: autoprobe failed
pd: no valid drive found
/lib/modules/2.2.1/misc/pd.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

if I try:
#mount -t vfat /dev/pda /mnt/ezflyer I get:
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/pda as a block
device (maybe "insmod driver"?)

Well, I ran the mkd script again and the /dev/pda device exists so
what is the problem?

** Printer **

Actually the printer pbm and the ezflyer may be related.

#lpr filename gives
lpr: lp: unknown printer

the printtool program from RedHat fails to detect any printer on
/dev/lp0 & /dev/lp1 & /dev/lp3

The printtool detected my printer when I installed RH52 straight
from the box. It sounds like something has broken since I installed
the kernel 2.2.1 but I have not a clue what this can be.
I have double checked my kernel config (make xconfig) and everything
related to parallel port & printer is selected.
All my kernel compilations have been done after make mrproper, make dep
& make clean. Modules are installed and I am beginning to lose my sleep!!!
When I request printtool to print a test ASCII file I can see that the modules are
loaded:

Module size used by
parport_probe 2848 0 (autoclean) (unused)
lp 4860 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport 6624 0 (autoclean) [parport_probe lp]

So I guess kmod has kicked in and did its job (I thought that after
a determined elapsed time they would be removed but in fact they stay
there forever...) but nothing prints.

Any clue on these topics very very welcome.

Cheers,
Fred