Re: [PARPORT] Printers, etc.

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:01:03 +0100 (GMT)

On 29 Mar 1999, John Cumming wrote:

> However, when I boot up Linux the printer driver sends characters to
> both my printers (but no line-feed or end-of-page so I am able to
> cancel the printing). How can I stop this from happening?

John, did you compile parport as kernel modules ("m") or monolithic ("y")?
If you've got modules, try "insmod parport; insmod parport_pc; insmod
lp" and let me know if things still go wrong. If not, it's probably the
IEEE 1284 autoprobe that's confusing your printers.

If you answered "y" to the parport questions when you were configuring,
please re-do the configuration saying "m" this time. ;-)

Thanks,