[PARPORT] Help getting set up

Greg Bell (althiom@gate.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:28:33 -0500

I am running a 2.2.4 kernel and am having trouble getting parport to recognize my

ZIP disk. My 'puter has two parallel ports (both of which get assigned to
printers)
and I get this while booting

<snip>
request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs not mounted
request_module[parport_probe]: Root fs not mounted
ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
ppa: parport reports no devices.
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
<snip>
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [SPP,PS2,EPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
parport1: PC-style at 0x278 [SPP]
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
lp1: using parport1 (polling).
<snip>
ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
WARNING - no ppa compatible devices found.
  As of 31/Aug/1998 Iomega started shipping parallel
  port ZIP drives with a different interface which is
  supported by the imm (ZIP Plus) driver. If the
  cable is marked with "AutoDetect", this is what has
  happened.
scsi : 0 hosts.

doing an insmod results in the following:

ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
WARNING - no ppa compatible devices found.
  As of 31/Aug/1998 Iomega started shipping parallel
  port ZIP drives with a different interface which is
  supported by the imm (ZIP Plus) driver. If the
  cable is marked with "AutoDetect", this is what has
  happened.
scsi : 0 hosts.

I have the parport code installed as modules (i.e. parport.o parport_pc.o, etc)
and quite frankly I am stumped. Can anyone help????

    Greg