[PARPORT] Writing a parallel port driver

Eric Crampton (crames@aur.alcatel.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:41:42 -0400

I want to write a driver for an external parallel port 4-in/4-out MIDI
interface. I've been reading kernel source code (like
parport.h/parport.c), but I don't quite understand everything I need
to do to make things work.

So, before I dive in, what would be the best driver to model my code
after? I simply want to get data from the parallel port and expose it
via character drivers /dev/midi00, /dev/midi01, ... /dev/midi03 (and
take data in the opposite direction, also). Anyone have a HOWTO for
parallel port driver programming? :-)

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips.

---
Eric Crampton (crames@aur.alcatel.com)
Alcatel Network Systems