Re: [PARPORT] Re: Iomega Ditto MAX

Juergen Leising (a0037@stud.uni-bayreuth.de)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:16:00 +0200

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 01:06:48PM +0800, David Campbell wrote:
> Date sent: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:47:14 +0300
> From: Stefan Laudat <stefan@ns.asit.ro>
> To: campbell@torque.net
> Subject: Iomega Ditto MAX
>
> > I'm racking my brains off in the last couple of days with a Ditto Max tape drive. They say
> > it's a parallel SCSI compliant, so I've decided to enable parallel port support in kernel, and,
> > alternatively, the ppa and imm drivers. None of them seem to work, they do not detect anything.
> > I have NO printer support in kernel though it would be easier, but no results yet. Any ideas are welcome...
>
> This is the first I heard that the Ditto Max tape drive being a
> parallel <=> SCSI beast. I know that the original parallel port Ditto
> drives were a strange ISA/Floppy tape drive system. I wonder if
> anyone else on the Linux Parallel port mailing list knows anything
> about these devices.

Hello,

I have been fiddling around with an external ditto max for several months;
despite the fact I got it working under linux, it is really a bad device,
not just under linux, but also under windows.

It has nothing to do with scsi.

You need special drivers (ftape, zftape and bpck-fdc) and special
utilities (ftmt instead of mt-st). Those can be found at

http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/development.html

If you have kernel 2.2.x you are forced to use "unstable" drivers -
but they are enough stable I think:

http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/archives/ftape-4.x/unstable/

If somebody is interested in my own setup:

http://www.stud.uni-bayreuth.de/~a0037/ditto.html

Very much people have problems with that cr* drive as you can see at
the mailing list the mailing list linux-tape@vger.rutgers. As the ditto is not really
reliable for the purpose of backups I bought in the meantime a brand
new scsi streamer...

Nevertheless, good luck

Juergen.