[PARPORT] Re: Detecting parallel ports

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 14:15:30 +0100 (GMT)

Hi Thomas,

This has really been dragging out, and here's where I think we stand at
the moment (correct me if I'm wrong):

o You've got a SIIG ISA multi-I/O card, with a 9-pin Panasonic KX-P1091i
  plugged into it.
o Loading parport modules (as found in Linux kernel 2.2) usually fails.
o Loading tmw-tree parport modules works, but printing only works when
  the modules are loaded while the printer is off.
o When the tmw-tree modules load, sometimes it says [SPP,PS2] and
  sometimes it includes EPP in the list.

So, the main problem is that printing doesn't work, and the minor problem
is that the mode list "[SPP,PS2]" etc. isn't consistent. For this second
problem, I'll see what I can dig up on the I/O card, to see if it does EPP
or not.

For the main problem, I strongly suspect that things would work with a
different printer. What happens, for instance, when you load the parport
modules with the printer unplugged? If you can borrow a printer from
someone else, it would be very useful to confirm (or deny) that you can
print using it.

If that's the case, we need to know what it is that we do that upsets the
Panasonic printer so much. Have you had a chance to try out the debugging
parameters in parport_pc (ecr=0 and so on)?