Re: [PARPORT] external HDD problems (EPAT)

David Rivenburg (driven@onr.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 05:30:23 -0500

> 1) When I probe change the disk, I cannot mount logical disk from
> it. Device /dev/pda5 (6.....x) don't exists. How can I make it ? In
> Win95 it works :-(

How large is this hard disk? How did you partition it? It sounds
like you may have one of various drivers on your disk that
manufacturer's utility programs tend to install. I think paride does
less thorough partition detection than the kernel does. If this is
the case, it can be fixed by clearing and repartitioning your hard
drive. To clear it, use:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/pda bs=1k count=32

Then connect it directly to a PC's ide controller (to ensure proper
geometry) and use fdisk on it. Of course, this will destroy any data
on your hard drive, so back it up first if you want what's on it.

Dave