[PARPORT] Re: No joy with parport

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:09:46 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Stefan Ellerbrock wrote:

> the "parport_pc.o init_module: Device or resource busy" message. At this
> stage I have not even attempted to
> load the ppa.o module.

That means that the port in question doesn't allow us to read the data
register _or_ the control register. Rats.

Is there anything in the BIOS about the parallel port? Also, does it make
a difference whether or not anything is plugged into the parallel port
(I'm guessing not)?

David Campbell has a tool called id_probe, for detecting parallel ports.
Could I get you to give that a go? I'll send it to you in private mail.

> The ppa.o driver used to work wit kernel-2.0.34, so something is
> broken with the parport.o or parport_pc.o module, perhaps you can
> suggest something else to try.

With the tmw patches, you can get parport_pc to surrender just by
specifying the base address, so io=0x378 irq=5 should take care of that.

As far as ppa is concerned, I don't really know why it doesn't work. Once
ppa finds out the port's base address, it pretty much does its own thing.