RE: [PARPORT] Printer works in 2.0.36 but no in 2.2.x

Tim Waugh (twaugh@matra.co.uk)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:28:41 +0100

Juha,

Have you tried with and without interrupts? 'insmod parport_pc io=0xXXX'
for no interrupts (i.e. polling operation) and 'insmod parport_pc io=0xXXX
irq=Y' for interrupt-driven operation.

At the moment I'm not sure if it's something special that 2.0.36 is doing or
something stupid that 2.2.6 is doing. It would be useful to find out if
2.2.x-tmw can print to that printer: the normal printing codepath is quite
similar to 2.2, but it can also use ECP FIFOs. Can the chipset be put in
ECP mode in the BIOS, do you know?

I would appreciate it if you can find time to apply patch-2.2.6-tmw7
(ftp.torque.net) and let me know if you can get it to print. Remember to
try with and without interrupts. If you compile parport_pc as a module,
you'll also be able to recompile with and without FIFO support.

Thanks,

twaugh@matra.co.uk  MATRA Systems (UK) Ltd., Home Farm, Leigh Road,
                    Eastleigh, SO50 9EU  Registered in Cardiff 2642797