Re: [PARPORT] Scanners using parallel ports

grant@torque.net
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

> The current way to try to discover the protocol used between the windoze
> driver and the parallel port is by disassembling the driver and watching
> the messages being sent. I think (ignoring any legal issues) that is
> quite painful. What I think should be possible is to use 1 PC running
> windoze which is attached by parallel port to another computer

As Phil has pointed out, this doesn't really work. Others have
suggested the "portmon" program from sysinternals.com - but it's
no use.

Bochs and Vmware sound promising, but neither has adequate parallel port
support. (And they have other problems with timing, for instance.)

I keep hoping that someone very knowledgeable about NT internals will
come forward and write a module that can use iopl trapping to virtualise
the parallel ports and provide a tracing facility. Now that DOS is
rapidly fading into oblivion, it is becoming increasingly difficult to
find DOS drivers for new devices, so the problems that Scanner folk
have been seeing are now starting to affect my ability to trace disk
and tape devices, too.

I've been told that such tools exist, but noone has been willing to
provide one - and I personally don't have the time to try to put
the pieces together myself.