[PARPORT] Parallel floppy drive

Heather Stern (star@starshine.org)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:09:17 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure where to go with this, but I'll describe, and then you guys can
tell me if I'm in the wrong place.

I have a minipc with a parallel floppy. It boots from the floppy and in
fact I had no trouble during installs using this floppy. Of course those
all reach for the raw disk drive somehow and just suck bits off of it,
then mount the results, I think.

Once I'm loaded and into a normal day, I can't use the floppy very well
(which is somehow more frustrating than if it just didn't work). The
dmesg seems to spot it fine, says:

        Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
        FDC 0 is National Semiconductor PC87386

However when I attempt to use the floppy it always acts like it was disk
changed during the operation. I've been able to mount it and then only
be able to ls the drive, attempting to access ordinary files on a linux
floppy getting complaints. On a TurboLinux distribution I was able to
dd the image of the disk into a file and then loopback mount that; but
under the new SuSE I can't dd it (the results aren't a fullsize disk)
and I dunno what the deal is, because I'm using TurboLinux' APM kernel,
so if it were only a kernel thing, it would have worked the same.

Is this chipset a known pain? Am I on the wrong list to get a good
answer? Help...

  . | . Heather Stern | star@starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting@starshine.org
  ' | ` Sysadmin Support and Training | (800) 938-4078