Re: [PARPORT] Parallel floppy drive

grant@torque.net
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:02:56 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not sure where to go with this, but I'll describe, and then you guys can
> tell me if I'm in the wrong place.

Alas, you are.

> I have a minipc with a parallel floppy.

I think this is quite unlikely, especially considering the rest of your
report. You have an _external_ floppy, and it uses a cable that
resembles a parallel cable. It might even share the same connector
as your parallel port, but it is actually just an ordinary floppy drive
with an unusual cable.

> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
> FDC 0 is National Semiconductor PC87386

End of story. No parallel port device would show up in this way. And,
in fact, the only parallel port floppies that Linux can detect are the
LS-120 drives. (And they're a completely different sort of creature.)

> However when I attempt to use the floppy it always acts like it was disk
> changed during the operation. I've been able to mount it and then only
> be able to ls the drive, attempting to access ordinary files on a linux
> floppy getting complaints.

Perhaps if you could make a more precise report of what problems you are
seeing, someone might be able to help you - although it's really well
outside the scope of this particular mailing list.