Re: [PARPORT] Parallel floppy drive

grant@torque.net
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:19:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Thanks anyway, but it's a Ricoh Magio. What I have is not a PC-card floppy,
> (Though as a completely side note, if you know how to find a driver for a
> Maxell SuperDisk PCcard LS-120, please let me know. I asked the PCMCIA
> hypernews forum about that one) I hear that this might also be selling in
> Japan as a Thinkpad 235.

The Maxell PCCard is actually from Freecom in Germany. I've used the
same PCcard with CD-ROM, but not with an LS-120. Since I have both
bits, however, I'll look into it the next time I can get my hands on
my laptop ... In principle, all you probably need to do is to add
a new entry into the PCMCIA configuration file. (That worked for me and
the CD, anyway ...)

> What I have is an honest-to-goodness parallel floppy; it has a standard
> 25 pin tail, and plugs into the parallel port on the back on my system.

No. It's not a _parallel_ floppy. You could not plug it into any
other parallel port and expect it to work. The electronics in your
computer multiplexes the connector between a parallel port and a floppy
controller. (It's all done inside a single chip which implements
both the parallel port and the FDC - it's a standard part from National
Semiconductor.)

As I said the first time, post the actual kernel log messages that
occur when the drive fails, perhaps someone will be able to help with
this, if you give us some data.