Re: [PARPORT] Re: patch-2.2.7-tmw3 and IEEE1284 modes

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Sat, 08 May 1999 01:39:36 +0200

Tim Waugh wrote:

> > I'm glad to see that you intend to differentiate ports by their
> > number and not by their IO address. The "IO Address" as unique
> > identification number is going to have problems anyway.
>
> They're differentiated by virtue of being separate 'struct parport's,
> really.

Well yes, most of the time. But how does lp0 find its port?
It enumerates them and then?
Hopefully by number and not by io address

> I don't know about USB; is there no way of aborting when the FIFO has
> data? For instance, if the peripheral just refuses to accept data that's
> in the USB FIFO, what happens?

If it's still in the host controller queues, its less of a problem
(although removing transfer descriptors from a hc queue racelessly
is quite difficult). If it's already in the USB->Parport chip,
then I don't know a method to get the "residue" count.

Tom