Re: [PARPORT] 2.2.7 fixes

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 11 May 1999 20:59:26 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 11 May 1999, F Labrosse wrote:

> Tried it, works fine. I've tried to print whith the printer off, on,
> with paper, without paper, all worked fine.

Good. Thanks for the feedback.

> BTW, I discovered that the tmw patches are not necessary for the
> daisy-chaining to work.

Not for daisy-chaining a Zip drive, no. For older Zip drives, the method
of daisy-chaining is unique to Iomega (as far as I know), and so it is
hard-coded into ppa.c. For newer Zip drives, IEEE-compliant parallel port
daisy-chaining is used, and imm.c does as little of this as it can get
away with. The tmw tree has more support for IEEE 1284.3 daisy-chaining,
and David and I even managed to get a Zip drive to identify itself once
(in the same manner as parport_probe).

But no drivers actually use the daisy-chaining support in the tmw tree, so
no, it isn't needed for things to work.

> Actually, all went well without tmw, except
> that the imm module is still not autoloading and that the parport
> module is not autoloading too when I do a "insmod imm" :-(

I know that you have pre-install lines in your conf.modules, but really
you should use modprobe instead for that kind of thing. I'm really not
sure what's going wrong though, as I've tried your conf.modules and
everything just works.